Saturday 7 August 2010

The taste of the Danforth

My husband really REALLY wants to go to the Taste of the Danforth today. He's mentioned it a few times but never made it happen over the years.

At the start of the warm spring we were talking about things we'd like to do this summer and he brought up how he's always wanted to go to the wonderful Greek Food but every year we've had something come up and it was too late to go. So like the good wife that I am, I told him that I'd write today's date down in the calendar that seems to rule our lives and therefore if someone asks us to do something, we would have to turn them down. The only thing that could trump it would be a wedding or a wedding/baby shower. The showers would only trump it if they were for a) someone we were related to or b) someone we really liked. Lucky for us - neither materialized and so we can actually go.

Personally I knew nothing about it other than it was a Greek Food festival in Toronto on the Danforth. I figured they closed the road and served food. I had no idea how big it was, or what to expect. So this morning I awoke incredibly early with the food festival on the forefront of my mind.

Just what have I signed up for?

Lucky for me, I have a little thing called the interwebs to get me informed. Here are a few things I've learned.

  1. This party is pretty massive. They close the street for blocks and it fills up with thousands upon thousands of people.
  2. They serve more than just souvlaki. In a video on their website www.tasteofthedanforth.com they have grilled corn and other tasty nibblies to tantalize your tastebuds
  3. There will be a flash mob at 4pm. I saw the dance and it looks quite tricky. I'm sure that it's going to be completely awesome though and a real surprise for all those that don't know anything about it.
  4. Parking for this festival is very VERY limited and will be difficult to find - especially later in the day. The subway is being touted as the absolute best option.
  5. Did I mention there is going to be a very LARGE amount of people. I get very anxious in crowds and have panic attacks. I need to be mentally prepared and I must mentally prepare my husband for what might happen.
  6. The festival starts at noon and runs until midnight - it might be smarter the earlier we are getting there.
Overall it sounds like the name of the game is the food. There might be a few other things to see, but it won't be a true carnival like some other festivals we've been to. I'm currently steeling myself from being caught in a wave.

I can do this. The food alone has me drooling. Will we see you there?

No comments:

Site Meter