Sunday 17 April 2011

Heartless - Book Review

I completely missed a book review for my #26in2011 so I've completed 10 books with 16 more to go in 2011. If you don't know what I'm talking about, read the original post I wrote about this here. In the meantime, lets get on with the show.

A week or so ago I decided to have luxurious bath and read. It's one of my favourite guilty pleasures and on this night I decided to crack into one of the books I picked up at the annual book sale from the Cambridge Public Library. I picked up a couple of paperbacks for 50 cents so even if I didn't like the books I figured it wasn't a big deal.

As you know from reading my other reviews, that my tastes are pretty varied but I tend to always stay on the fiction side of things. I'm hoping that this book was not based on true events because I ended up staying up half the night until the book was finished. I was sitting on the edge of my seat reading it the entire time. I was completely lost in the story and needed to have it resolved or else I wasn't going to sleep.

The book is Heartless by Alison Gaylin. I've never heard of this author before and have never read her books but I was really trapped in the story.

It's a suspense kind of horror book based in Northern Mexico. I had the pleasure of going to Mexico 10 years ago before I moved to Alberta and was able to get a grasp on the culture of the people in the book and the look and feel for the surroundings. I think I may have already put my own take on the landscape before even reading so perhaps that was why I was so easily drawn into the story. Based around a somewhat sleepy town with some gruesome history, there is no way to really know what's going to happen and why until you read further and peel away another layer of the story.

It's twisted, slightly dark, mildly religious and cult like. Yet it's also delicious and interesting.

It's a really good book and I won't give away too much of the details but if you want a book you HAVE to read in one sitting due to the creepy content, this one is a good choice.

No comments:

Site Meter